Was going through news and saw Neimann won the Grenke Open. My first thought was... Damn did he cheat? Fuck dude. So sad. The choices you make matter so much. I don't even have anything pro or anti this guy, I'm not invested at all in him and yet my first thought simply goes there. I'm sure that the more he wins, the more people will simply assume he cheats or atleast laugh about it that way.
It's v important how you conduct yourself, what values you align with cuz eventually, over time... I feel like a narrative just builds. It's not even a wrong narrative tbh. It usually just becomes an indicator of the kind of person you are. I realise this more strongly now. Like some of my school group people. Eventually everyone distanced themselves from that one group cuz they felt toxic and only the toxic folks remained friends with each other. Over time, it was just an accepted fact that these guys suck. People you attract and are in your circle are a huge indicator of who you must be as a person. That's why most folks steer clear of Neimann also I presume.
I don't think even faking it works, so many times I've seen people pretend to be something they are not and just get called out eventually.
Idk how I feel about Neimann at all. He is like the villian chess didn't really need. It's hard to sympathise with someone when they have been caught cheating. On the other hand, so many others have too, and they never faced the repercussions he did. Like it was a complete circus. But I don't know. Morally, I simply do not align with anyone who cheats, I hate it, I think it's disreputable, disgusting and goes against any fair play instincts I have. Well. Yeah, I don't really give a fuck about this dude either. But the rest of the grown ups didn't conduct themselves any better too. Basically everyone sucks haha. I'm laughing it off but yes, I think that bit is generally true. The more I see the chess world, the less I like it tbh. It's too petty, childish and filled with small dick energy.
The worst thing about writing someone off - once you make up your mind that this is who they are - it's v rare to change it or to look at them in a different light. And Neimann has become like a protagonist in a Camus book. Tough luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment