Interesting difference that I'm now coming to terms with between the two. Life before Dosto and actually even Mishima, I used to really value plot and structure. But as I read War and Peace, which takes almost 200 pages just to set up the plot, I'm finding Dosto's complete disregard for anything that encumbered him from just presenting his ideas oddly extremely respectable too. There's so many distinct flavours in writing that I hadn't quite appreciated before. I have a soft corner for Dosto, there's something so raw and naked about him and his agony, I don't think the first couple of readings made me as aware of it as I am now. Other authors giving me that context. Their writings are layered, thought through, controlled. Dosto had zero such hangups he just bled and didn't care is my understanding thus far. That's the thing about genius - you can never understand it's true depth cuz you aren't as good lol. But I'll try like hell to do what I can to.
Using Bach's cello suites as accompaniment and it's been basically 3 hours of reading with a few 3+0 games thrown in and I legit didn't realise how much time passed.
Okay bek to reading. Whoever wrote 37 hours is all it takes for this book is a straight up liar.
No comments:
Post a Comment