Sunday, August 13, 2023

Anime Love

Listening to this on repeat while working out. Man, anime just has such insanely good soundtracks. And I love Psycho Pass. At some point I'd thought it was Satoshi Kon's work, but no, Mob Psycho is his. Another absolute masterpiece. Something about Kon's work is soo underrated, yet it has inspired so many mainstream films. I think Paprika was the one I saw first and later read that Nolan used that as an inspiration for Inception. Even Perfect Blue and Black Swan, although I'm not sure if Aronofsky ever openly admitted to it. 

The best part is how anime gives you the flexibility to explore concepts in their true essence without human encumbrance. Most of the ones I have gravitated to over the years have very Dostoevsky type themes and villians that are conflicted and compelling. I think that's why I even liked Batman growing up, the villans are flavourful. But they are way more one dimensional than say a Makishima from Psycho Pass or Itachi or even Yagami Light - the og villian that made me love anime so much. Damn, Death Note is so spectacular! I even love Zuko, even though it's not technically anime. Last Airbender was so so so good!

Ugh, I want to watch something new and cool. It's been ages. I think the last series I loved was Arcane. Hmmm. Need to scouttt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment