Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Day 7 - My opinion on cheating

In the ideal world, I would say cheating sucks. But in the ideal world, you also only find love once, you know it's The One and it's meant to be forever. Which goes to say that basically there is no desire to cheat in itself. 
But realistically speaking, I feel that cheating is a by product of a whole bunch of things. Not being happy in your current equation, not being completely committed, not being over an ex or simply not having the best sex with the person you are with.
I feel that as we grow older, we compromise a whole lot. This permeates our relationships to a point that a lot of times we settle for folks because we feel maybe this would be the wisest choice. And as time goes on, we tend to stray. 
Also, there are times when we just outgrow a relationship. But due to societal/ personal pressure we stay in it. Cheating helps fill that void which time leaves.

For me, the only time I have come close to cheating, is when I badly wanted to leave a relationship and even then I made sure I broke up with him before I went out with someone else. It happened when me and V were on the fringe of a breakup. He basically ghosted me all summer while interning and had the audacity to come back to put me in the role of his gf. I was super sad, and felt very low. So it felt amazing when someone else was willing to give me all that I wanted. I guess it was a mix of reassurance and validity that I found and so I wanted to go along with it and hook up with someone else. I know that's not totally normal, but sometimes a good external reason helps when a good internal reason is not acceptable. 

I've also had a guy cheat on his gf with me. I could never really understand his motivations. Or how he kept her a secret for almost a year of knowing me and hanging out with me 3 nights a week. Maybe he too was unhappy with her. But I am not sure, since he ended up marrying her as well. 

I cannot imagine having to deal with the pain and confusion of someone you actually love cheating on you. I sincerely hope I don't have to find this one thing out firsthand 

No comments:

Post a Comment