Monday, March 7, 2016

What do we do?


I have been reading a lot of Paul Graham's essays lately, and they are all so insightful. I quite enjoyed one of the shorter essays titled 'What doesn't feel like work?' The essence of the article, in his words, is: "If something that seems like work to other people doesn't seem like work to you, that's something you're well suited for."

Which is a very idealistic approach, I admit. And it may very well get diluted due to the constraints of real life situations and the like. But I do feel it is very very important to be able to clearly define your problem set in your life. Once you do that, you are free to go behind the solution ruthlessly and single mindedly. 

I have often noticed a certain lack of commitment in all the dreamers, and the above average - good at a lot of things - kind of people. They are waiting for an epiphany of sorts, which will make the path very clear in their heads. The downside of having an intellect, is the ability to spot the redundant patterns and foreseeing future circumstances, which are unappealing. The sum of all forces at that point, is inevitably zero. Until lightning strikes, they prefer to dawdle through life, never really putting their heart and soul into anything in particular. This phenomena then also permeates into their private life and results in dysfunctional relationships, friendships, career patterns etc. However, for a few, lightning does strike, and the same dawdling person suddenly is the most passionate and focused person you can see in your vicinity. 

Being on the impatient side, I find it hard to accept that you have to wait around for epiphany to strike. It is akin to sitting around on a bus stop, waiting for a bus to get there - who knows if the driver got lazy and stopped for some tea. It could happen. All of life's twists and turns may not be predictable, but there has to be a way to counter or at least marginalize the waiting period. I have often found that redefining the problem is what helps me snap out of my funk. What happens if today I don't do what I wanted to? Today, if I was 80, would I approve or disapprove of this choice I am making? So instead of finding excuses, I am actively trying to look at a different perspective, which changes the entire supposition set for me and consequently I avoid an earlier pattern. I am sure there would be many other ways, this is just one that works for me. 

A mistake we all make is thinking we have a lot of time on our hands. That passion will suddenly arise in us, the career path will come about, that art we want to create, yeah we'll do that sometime in the vague future. And of course - the bad friendships and relationships will sort themselves out, the fights will be resolved etc. etc. But the thing is we don't have the time. There is hardly any. Years are just going by, and the sense of achievement is lacking.

I met this guy who made tea in a client's office, and he happened to be one of the happiest people I have met. He also made the best tea I have ever had. And he always has a look of utter joy when you mention that to him. Now, this may be a paltry example, but the fact remains that his job and existence gave him much more joy than mine did me. So there must be a connection between loving your job, doing it well and staying happy.

The road to figuring it out is also littered with enticements and distractions, it is too easy to fall into the easy patterns and get complacent. And by all means, if complacency is the aspiration, it is a perfectly good choice, and will be a good life in the end.

But to the restless among us, complacent as a word is annoying. If we are trying to build something, carve a niche, and we want to applaud ourselves, the only choice left would be to never settle for mediocrity, and get moving. :)

Listening to: Caught a ghost - Sleeping at night! | Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sacrilige

No comments:

Post a Comment