Friday, October 28, 2022

the first song I ever heard

this

I remember I was around 6/7 years old. I found this casette at my friend's place. Mostly her dad's. I put it on, not knowing what to expect. And it was Simon and Garfunkel. ♥️

This first song made me absolutely fall in love with music. 

I remember listening to Sounds of Silence repeatedly, not knowing what ''halo of a streetlamp" could mean. But something about ''words like silent raindrops'' evoked warm honey on toast feelings inside me. The sleeve of the casette gave me the lyrics I would have otherwise found hard to decode. Back then, I had to keep rewinding the casette and then jot stuff down in my diary so I could know what to sing.

I spent countless hours singing in front of a mirror those days, pretending to give a concert, painstakingly recording a new casette onto a blank one so I could have a music collection of my liking. When the tape came loose, trying to rewind it with a pencil, and praying fervently that it doesn't get spoilt. New casettes were a luxury.

Years later, I discovered Leonard Cohen and Bright Eyes, both of which completed this trinity of bands that hold time within them for me.

It's not often that I remember this memory, but the joy of discovery and the anticipation of beauty used to light my heart on fire. If there's one thing I truly miss about childhood, it's how much I loved and looked forward to discovering things.


No comments:

Post a Comment