Wednesday, August 12, 2020

The sickening uniformity of Beige

 

"If you dial," Iran said, eyes open and watching, "for greater venom, then I'll dial the same. I'll dial the maximum and you'll see a fight that makes every argument we've had up to now seem like nothing. Dial and see; just try me." She rose swiftly, loped to the console of her own mood organ, stood glaring at him, waiting. He sighed, defeated by her threat. "I'll dial what's on my schedule for today." Examining the schedule for January 3, 1992, he saw that a businesslike professional attitude was called for. "If I dial by schedule," he said warily, "will you agree to also?" He waited, canny enough not to commit himself until his wife had agreed to follow suit.

- Do androids dream of electric sheep?


I'm curious. If you live in a society governed by mood regulators, and everyone has the same deviations available to them, then does that mean we have potentially solved for equality of outcome? 


No comments:

Post a Comment