Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Ode to my favourite philosopher

A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that's just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it's a joke. ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Everytime I refer back to him, it's with a tiny bit more perspective than the last time. And all that he says resounds in my soul with a "hell yeah!"

Another one of my favourite quotes by him basically puts into words my crude thoughts about love as well. 

"Love is the expression of the one who loves, not of the one who is loved. Those who think they can love only the people they prefer do not love at all. Love discovers truths about individuals that others cannot see." 

I have ascribed to this thought in my own rudimentary way all my life. But what he leaves out here is the danger in living this way. Though I do feel the beauty generated is enough compensation for any danger you might find yourself in. 

Man, he is such a genius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment